The Molly Project continues…

To follow up on yesterday’s post, today I took the mirror box and the upper telescope assembly to the River Ridge Observatory so that I determine the proper separation. Besides the sky, the site has a view of another mountain across the valley about two miles away. Since yesterday I attached the focuser and telrad boards to the UTA and added the focuser. You can see my hi-tech boards and clamps.
Note: when walking around with a 16 inch mirror in the sunlight be careful not to burn your retinas out.

The Molly Project continues…

The custom made secondary holder and spider should be here by month end.
I have 7 1.25” aluminum poles, one as a spare. May get one more if I have the opportunity to avoid cost of shipping.
Here is a prototype truss connector I made yesterday plus another picture showing it attached to a simulated upper ring with a cam latch. I’m hoping that will work, one of the scopes I’ve studied uses them and they will be very convenient. Finally a shot of all six. You can tell they are handmade and each is unique. Later I may revisit this but for now I’ve had enough of working with aluminum.  Fortunately I have enough aluminum channel (barely) to redo them.

The 0.4m (16″) compact dob, code named Molly, continues

Here we have a simple plywood disk mirror cell in the mirror box. there are 18 felt pads at the calculated points for support of the mirror.
Here I’ve cut out two 30″ diameter altitude bearings and matching rocker box sides from a single 2’x4’by3/4″ sheet of plywood.

Here we see the altitude bearings attached to the mirror box, resting on the rocker box with the mirror resting on its cell.