The Molly Project continues…

To follow up on yesterday’s post, today I took the mirror box and the upper telescope assembly to the River Ridge Observatory so that I determine the proper separation. Besides the sky, the site has a view of another mountain across the valley about two miles away. Since yesterday I attached the focuser and telrad boards to the UTA and added the focuser. You can see my hi-tech boards and clamps.
Note: when walking around with a 16 inch mirror in the sunlight be careful not to burn your retinas out.

The Molly Project continues…

The custom made secondary holder and spider should be here by month end.
I have 7 1.25” aluminum poles, one as a spare. May get one more if I have the opportunity to avoid cost of shipping.
Here is a prototype truss connector I made yesterday plus another picture showing it attached to a simulated upper ring with a cam latch. I’m hoping that will work, one of the scopes I’ve studied uses them and they will be very convenient. Finally a shot of all six. You can tell they are handmade and each is unique. Later I may revisit this but for now I’ve had enough of working with aluminum.  Fortunately I have enough aluminum channel (barely) to redo them.